In a significant change to the Karnataka Land Reforms Act, 1961, Governor Vajubhai R. Vala on 13/07/2020 signed the Karnataka Land Reforms (Amendment) Act, 2020, a month after the Karnataka Cabinet passed an ordinance making amendments to the Karnataka Land Reforms Act, 1961. Following the Governor’s consent, the State Government has notified the Amended Act in the Gazette notification.
Accordingly, the amendments –
- Allow Non-agriculturist to purchase agricultural Land (Farm land) in Karnataka. However, restrictions on purchase of irrigated land by non-agriculturist remain
- Removed the ceiling on income from non agricultural sources to buy agricultural land
- Also increased the ceiling on number of units of land a person/family can hold
Accordingly, Sections 63(A), 79(A), 79(B), 79(C) in the existing Karnataka Land Reforms Act, 1961, were repealed to enable these changes.
With these changes –
- Farmers are expected to get better prices for their land
- Organised farming will get a fillip
- Technology adoption & modernisation of agricultural practises is expected to increase
Reduce corruption & promote industries alike